Saturday, June 19, 2010

A Season of Change

My days of small children and routine are gone. My children are grown and I am finding myself in a place I've not visited before. My usually busy household is giving way to long stretches of quiet and times where I am by myself. Unaccustomed to spending time on my own, I am learning to appreciate these moments where I can refresh, regroup, and just be. I used to think taking time for myself was selfish. Now I am learning that it is necessary to be best equipped for all that is on my plate. It has been a very busy and hectic spring with taking care of ailing parents who live several hours away and the multiple trips I have made. My oldest daughter recently graduated from Lee University, I was honored to be the wedding director at a dear friend's wedding, and I have helped both of my daughters get ready for their summer trips. Katherine left about 2 weeks ago for 3 months in Chile where she is studying the Spanish language, working with students, youth, and blessed to be living with a pastor's family and one of her dear Chilean friends. Christina left yesterday for the Netherlands with a group of students and a professor to study graphic design. Both girls are away to study, but both feel they are being sent to be a light to the culture they are visiting. And more change is on the way. We are soon to be moving into a new home that has potential for much ministry. All of our children are now in the 20's; my baby turned 20 earlier this month. It seems strange to me that I no longer have any teenagers. I love teens--taking time to really know their hearts provides much insight. Despite the raging hormones and trying to find their way to being on their own soon, they are a delightful and fun age group to be around. I am blessed to work with a great group of teens in our church in children's ministry and in our drama group.
Yes, change is inevitable. This season of change seems to be more intense than others. I am thankful I serve a God Who is unchanging. He is the same yesterday, today, and tomorrow. Jesus Christ is faithful and He promises to never leave nor forsake me. So, despite the often overwhelming times I am in, He is there walking through each step with me. Whether it is a day so full I can hardly find time to grab a bite to eat or a day like today that has moments of quiet respite throughout my cleaning and packing, He graces me with peace and joy in the journey.

2 comments:

  1. I found you Cheryl! :-) I have linked your blog on mine, so that I can see when you have posted something new. I LOVE your blog! Looking forward to reading more and I can't wait to see your new home!! :-) God is so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the name of your blog is the *best*. Blessings on this, your latest venture. You will come to love it so much, I think. My blog is like my digital scrapbook...posting is often a highlight of my day. Blogging is such fun...welcome to the wide, wide world my friend!

    :-)

    ReplyDelete